There is an old saying that you can’t understand someone until you’ve walked in their shoes. What this means is you have to understand who it is your prospects are.
Once you know who your prospects are you have to narrow down where they are. If you are selling products that are only shipped within your country then you need to devote your marketing efforts in that direction.
Step one – Make a Plan.
Once you have decided where your customers are, you need to have a plan. There are many different ways to advertise your online business. You need to decide how many things you want to do to promote your business. Some people are successful doing only one type of advertising to promote their business. Other people do 30 different things to promote their business.
A successful chiropractor once told me “Tyron if you want 30 new customers every month you need to do 30 different things”. Keep in mind that one thing alone could produce way more than 30 new customers if done properly. The great thing about online marketing is some of the things you can do can still produce results 5 or even 20 years from now.
I am strong believer of doing multiple things to promote my online business especially when you are new. Once you get yourself out there you can decide if you wish to focus on one specific area.
Step two – Take Action
One of the main things that cause new people to fail when they advertise their online marketing business is that they fail to follow through. Once you have your plan on paper take action right away. It doesn’t mater if you don’t know how to write articles perfectly or if you are blogging correctly. You can’t score if you don’t shoot at the net. The more you do something the better you get.
Step 3 – Track your results
One of the most important things you need to do when you are advertising your site is track your results. If you don’t know what is working and what isn’t, you can’t fix it. I will say it again, you need to track your ads. To be a top marketer you will need to test many different things to see what is getting the best results for you. This is especially important for any paid advertising you do.
One Last Thing
Some people never get this. So pay attention. If you plan on writing things such as articles that you want to be published on other people’s sites. Do not try to mesmerize people with your intellect. Most people only read at a 6th grade level. One of the things that I do is get a young child to read over aloud what I have written. Any parts they have difficulty with should probably be changed.
Your advertising strategy will determine the success of your business so ensuring your adverts are the best they could possibly be is the best way to reduce your CPC (cost per customer) or CPA (cost per acquisition).
Here are some techniques you can use in this regard:
- Desktop and mobile friendly. Make sure your adverts are desktop and mobile friendly. If necessary, split your adverts to desktop only and mobile only. Depending on what advertising platform you use, there may be a larger number of mobile prospects so if your advert is not mobile friendly, you are losing leads.
- Split test. Run split tests with different images, different headings, different wording and then check them on a regular basis to see what combination works best. This way you can make changes on the go and your advertising budget will be used in a more efficient way. Be sure to test your call-to-action as well.
- Segment your interests into groups representing similarities or lookalike audiences which can make your targeting easier and more effective.
- Be sure to track your profits and losses daily so you can keep an eye on your profitability. It is no good receiving hundreds of link clicks when they do not convert to leads as this will have a detrimental effect on your sales and ultimately your bottom line.
- Be sure to use re-targeting techniques with your past buyers.
- Age groups. Identify the more effective and profitable age groups which can further help your advertising effectiveness.
- Identify your success rates on desktops, iPhone, android and tablets. This can be used effectively in targeting as well.
- When you find a formula that works. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Just be sure to monitor the success rate of your repeats to ensure they follow in the same pattern. If not, then something has changed and you need to makes changes accordingly using the techniques above.
- If you find adverts are successful, try scaling the budget up in small steps. Keep scaling if you see an equivalent increase in profitability or click through rates.
- You should aim for double the income of your advertising spend. This will ensure you remain profitable.
I discovered these and many more techniques for online success with my mentors. I became a part of a community of successful online entrepreneurs who not only train but also share their knowledge and are there to provide support along the journey.